Tuesday 3 June 2008

Anti-Plastics campaign - China sets an example...yet again

I recently saw an article on the Hindu that mentioned about Chinese retail giants(Walmart included) launching a nationwide campaign against issue of free plastic bags to all shoppers. The shoppers can however be able to buy them at a a marginal cost. The shoppers would be encouraged to bring their own bags to carry their buy. I am not sure of the numbers, but about 1300 tonnes of oil is being consumed to cater only to the needs of China's shoppers. I guess thats a lot of plastic that just goes into trash once the buyer reaches home. Though waste management & recycling are catching up, I guess this initiative is a lot advantageous coz, people avoid using plastic.(Prevetion is better than cure, if the adage is appropriate..)

I somehow remember(my memory sucks, so if I remember,it hardly turns out to be false), usage of polythene bags of certain thickness was banned in India too, but in a typical Indian manner, rules and laws are never meant to be followed.

Through this blog, I appeal to you to take the initiative in avoiding or atleast saying No when offered a polythene bag at your favourite supermarket. Please do carry your own jute bags or something made out of natural fibre, the next time you go out to shop.

Anti-plastics campaign losing momentum in Ooty!

No comments: